One gift that I made sure happened for Rex’s second birthday was a baby of his own. Lately, he’s been showing an interest in dolls and I wanted to encourage that. I used the pattern from Growing Up Sew Liberated for the Little Amigo Doll and purchased the materials locally at a store called Gossamer. The clothes were modified from the original patterns in the book.
So far, baby leads an exciting life. He gives fist bumps, rides in the shopping cart, and enjoys hugs and kisses. He even plays the guitar!
This project was way outside my comfort zone for sewing and crafting. Rex’s baby involved a lot of hand sewing and subjective creativity. I took out the eyes and redid them at least three times per side. His neck was redone twice, and I struggled for days with the arms. In the end, I’m very pleased with how he turned out. His hair is made from a combination of two yarns (Malabrigo Worsted and Berroco Ultra Alpaca) and was attached using this method, except I crocheted a chain instead of making a braid. I’m really glad I went to the extra work of that method, as baby is often transported by his hair. Rex loves his baby and I’m so proud of myself for sticking with it and finishing him on time.
I’ve been trying to do more during Rex’s naptimes. Sitting in a chair and relaxing is great, but I was beginning to feel like a lump. So, nearly every day, I try to do something creative. Lately, it’s been mostly sewing. I’ve been working from my (not as large as it used to be) stash as much as possible. I realized the other day that I had enough terry cloth to make this awesome hooded shark towel. Why I have so much terry cloth, I don’t remember…
The towel fits great and turned out better than expected. It has room for him to grow and he wore it happily. That is, until I tried to get a picture. Then he threw the hood back and cried.
Ah, the joys of a two year old… At least the towel is cooperative.
Every girl (and boy!) should know to use both a drill and a sewing machine. It comes in handy to have both skills. Earlier this week, as I was trying to see around the glare on the kitchen table, I knew I had to install curtains over the sliding glass door. We weren’t here this time last year, so I had no idea about this particular angle of the sun and it’s ability to burn my retinas. I packed up Rex and we hit up IKEA. It was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday morning, but we made it through with only a few extra items. We had an early lunch at the sushi-go-round and were home with time to spare before nap.
Despite fighting for time on the step tool, the curtains went up quickly and without a lot of trouble. I purchased very basic white-ish grommet style curtains with a white rod and simple bobble finials.
After Rex went down for his nap, I was able to hem them properly and give them a quick press.
I left them a bit long in case they shrink when I was them. I still need to ad tie backs of some sort, but for now they are working just fine.
While I was sewing, I whipped up a quick envelope pocket style pillowcase for Rex. He is quite enchanted with his football pillow, even if he doesn’t really use it for sleeping yet.
Full Halloween costume recap to come at some point. But in the meantime, here’s one of the few in-focus shots I managed to get of Rex in his costume.
(I made everything, except his shoes.)
What it’s really like trying to photograph toddlers in their adorable homemade costumes:
(I’ll post real pictures if I can get them to hold still for more than a millisecond tomorrow…)
Lest you think I haven’t been crafting during the unintentional blog silence… I whipped this up from the latest issue of Stitch magazine. It’s the Pint Sized Backpack.
I used three fabrics from Debbie Mumm’s pirate line. It fits perfectly!
Last week I attempted to sew a garment. For myself. With guidance from some tutorial on the internet that I can no longer locate, I attempted a skirt. My first attempt was, shall we say, less than flattering…
Basically you take one yard, fold it with selvedges together, add some elastic at the top, hem the bottom, and voila! skirt. While this skirt shape is flattering on many body types, mine is not one of them. My darling hubby politely offered some very tactful suggestions for making it fit better. His suggestions proved to be very helpful and the resulting modifications made the skirt much more attractive.
One yard of cotton fabric (purchased on clearance, no less), French seams, and a bit of elastic equal one simple and fairly cute skirt.
Modifications from the first version: Took off 7″ of width and tapered the side seams in a bit at the knee.