Over the weekend, my oldest nephew popped over and helped me with some heavy lifting and gardening labor. He cleaned out the bed that will one day house cucumbers and other plants. He also set up my new strawberry bed.
This simple bed (inspired by this post found via Pinterest) is made from the leftover cinder blocks after my large L-shaped bed was demolished. Unfortunately, I can’t count, so I only purchased 6 strawberry plants. The two plants in the front lower compartments are leftover spinach from the planting that went into the bed by the shed. When it gets too hot for spinach, those two pods will house flowers or other warm-weather crops. The bed is nestled neatly in some dead space between the back porch and the AC unit.
This bed now houses onions, garlic, lettuce, spinach, and sugar snap peas. I’m hoping they will all play nicely together. Very soon, I will be adding a trellis at the back of this bed for the peas to climb. I’m thinking some modified hog panel will do the trick (an idea suggested by my Dad). The lettuce, spinach, and peas were planted with the help of my five year old nephew. He also weeded and planted carrots in the dirt where the L-shaped bed used to be.
The blocks were removed, but the dirt remained, so we simply put some rocks around the front and decided to give it a shot. We planted Nelson carrots on the left side of this bed. We ran out about halfway towards the right. A trip to the Grange procured some Sugar Snax (chosen by T), but those will have to wait to go in until these ones sprout since I have no idea how far over we planted…