Zooooom!

That is the sound that this week is making.  With the family events this weekend and the flood of meetings this week, I’ve just been terribly distracted.  And I totally spaced Menu Plan Monday.  Bad blogger, no cookie!  That being said, I’m going to distract you with pretty and adorable aprons.

First up, the apron I thought I had botched.  I made it for me, but unfortunately, it’s just not the apron shape that’s right on my body.  It pooched and sagged and snugged all in areas it shouldn’t.  What’s a girl to do?  Apparently, give it to her sister…

Gratuitous pocket action.

My sister and I have different body shapes.  She’s tall and less curvy.  I’m short and curve like an accordion.  This apron fits her and is pretty to boot!

Work that apron, sister!!

I got the fabric on sale at Fabric of Vision.  The blue color you see on the pockets is also the lining, making the apron reversible.  The pattern was by an independent designer, but I don’t remember who offhand.

Along with that apron, I’ve been working on a slew of aprons for my cousin’s daycare.  She tends to have around six kids at Jumpin’ Monkeys and they all love to play pretend kitchen.  Tyler was kind enough to model the first one.

Do I have a cute model or what?

The fabric is Debbie Mumm and is some sort of outer space print.  This apron is also fully lined and was made using the Montessori Child’s Apron tutorial from Sew Liberated (scroll down, the link to the PDF is on the right hand side of the site).  This pattern is so simple and easy.  The best part?  It only takes about a half yard per apron!  (I’m not sure if you can tell, but he’s wearing the top half of his pirate costume under that apron.  See the pirate hat at the bottom right?  I think the Sponge Bob flip flops just *make* the entire ensemble.)

I also finished two aprons and a chef’s hat in some wild west themed Debbie Mumm fabric.  Since the daycare has both girls and boys, I figured unisex fabric was where it was at.  My only modification to the original tutorial was to make the waist strap a little longer.  The rocket version (modeled by Tyler above) had a 16″ waist strap, which was a little tight over a three layer pirate costume.  I increased the strap to 20″, which made cutting it even easier as it is the same length as the neck strap.  (So instead of cutting a 3″x16″ piece and a 3″x20″ piece, you cut a 6″x20″ piece and then cut it in half to have two identical 3″x20″ pieces.  Got it?  Good.)

Red horses with blue rope background.

Matching chef’s hat.

Blue horses with red rope background

Stay tuned for more adorable aprons to come.  I have at least another 3 or 4 in the works in both outer space and wild west fabrics.  If you want a project that has both instant gratification and an adorable factor of +10, then give this little apron a whirl.  You won’t be disappointed!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s